A quick penne pasta in spicy tomato and bacon sauce. I stole this from my mother who in turn stole the recipe from an Italian. I’m not entirely sure it really qualifies as proper Italian food, and for years we named the dish incorrectly – I’ve titled this as what we thought it translated to, not the “original” Italian. If anybody is reading this and recognises it as a named dish, I’d like to know what it should be called correctly.
– Olive oil
– 12 slices smoked Bacon, cut into small pieces
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 cans chopped tomato
– tomato puree
– Chilli to taste (dried or fresh)
– Seasoning (I’m lazy and use pre-prepared Italian seasoning)
– Penne pasta
– Grated cheese
– Fry the bacon and onion in LOTS of olive oil until soft. The olive oil adds flavour, so use more than you’d normally use for frying
– Add the other ingredients except the pasta, and simmer for 15-20 minutes
– Cook pasta separately. To serve, mix drained pasta with sauce and put grated cheese on top
Any left over sauce will freeze and reheat easily.